Job review from Dan in Pittsfield, MA 01201 on 12/31/20
5 out of 5
Our Overall Service
Glad to give a reference, but I said "no" because I don't want my phone number shared. If prospective customers want to share their number, I'd be glad to call them!
Our Installation Crew
The Cleanup Process
What type of work did you have done:
What made you choose our company:
Sorry, this is going to be long - lots to say!
Fantastic work. When I decided it was time for a roof on my rental property, I started by getting quotes based solely on a "phone book search" and online recommendations. Several companies submitted bids, with J Smegal coming in roughly in the middle. Here is why they came out to be far and away the easy choice and best value after all bids were collected.
1) No BS. Site walk was done on time and all documents were available, signed, and EVERYTHING itemized on the contract, with changes initialed and photographed on site.
2) Communication. Calls returned promptly through the whole process, issues communicated clearly and effectively, etc. Openness and clear communication is key when you're dropping $25k on a huge new roof! They took the time to explain the roofing system they use and how it compares to others - pros and cons. (Not many cons!)
3) Professionalism. I was told the job would be done at a certain time - and it was. When we agreed to talk, the call was made on time. When they said they'd come with samples, they did. When they said they'd email a copy of the invoice after first payment, they did. It'\s so refreshing to deal with a business who keeps their word!
4) Crew treatment. The roof was installed in July. The day the crew was set to begin work was the hottest day of the year (literally - over 100*) and the company's owner called personally to let me know that his team wouldn't be working today, and that they would start the next day for health and safety reasons. I was very glad to hear it! All of us know what it's like to work for a boss who doesn't care about - but when the boss DOES care, we would run through a wall for them, right? Quality treatment brings quality work, and it is great to know that the crew is treated well - it means they're going to do better work, and take pride in it!
5) Standing behind everything. First off, the 50-yr warranty is great. Wow! Also, I was told the (big) job would be done in two days tops. I didn't believe it, and told them as much, but they pulled it off. How? This isn't one or two guys working out of a pickup juggling ten jobs - there were no less than ten people running around whenever I stopped in to check progress, with a foreman on site at all times. They left the place clean and neat, and I still haven't found a nail.
6) Integrity. Everything from start to finish was genuine. From selling me on a less expensive option (leaving old sheathing in place and nailing new on top of it) because it was more structurally sound, to refunding money on a couple sheets of plywood that weren't used, the whole process was honest. The plywood thing was surprising - we're only talking about a couple hundred bucks on a $25k job, but I had no idea they didn't use it. They volunteered the information and then took the price off the final bill - wow. How many contractors would do that instead of just being "ahead" on the next job, especially when the customer would have never known the difference?
TL;DR version - these people treat you fairly. They communicate well, and are rightfully proud of their work - not something that everyone can say nowadays! We'll be using them for siding in spring.